Friday, November 16, 2018

Twelve rules for living and serving


Before I listen and look at Joe Rogan Experience #1139 - Jordan Peterson I was listen to prodcast #57.
In Jordan's description of his own experience, I recognized myself in youth. "Oh my God" it made me an alcoholic ! ? Or more clearly said; My consciousness gave me obsessions after drinking alcohol.
I (Bosse) came to be characterized by my grandmother's nursing and sense of mind, my grand(dad)mother's creative and rigidity,  my mother's self-absorbed codependency and my father's alcoholism (dead in alcoholism when I was 10 years old) in childhood. In puberty and youth, I sought my own way curiously, while at the same time distancing, with sex, love, religions, passion, drunk, education, suicidal thoughts, escape thoughts, meditation, yoga, seeks and various hobbies (dance, travel, motorsport, swimming etc .) depending on how long my curiosity lasted. Alcohol, adventure and new projects gave me adrenaline kicks.
At the age of 25, Jordan's and my experiences are separated as I continued to grow my alcoholism with regular weekly drank. I prioritized the family, parties, hobbies (travel, dance and various "projects" such as home distillation, new creative ideas, politics) and last priority the profession (which I did, however, approved for 36 years). At the age of 40 some common crises began to be mixed with new experiences and self-realization studies (perhaps because of obsessive thoughts and anxiety). In recent years, thoughts have deepened in part from new experiences, partly studiers from personal leadership, quality development and our different characteristics. The last year I have tried to help an alcoholic and during that trip also discovered my own alcoholism. Unconsciously, I felt ripe to take the step towards "sobriety". And now I try to make the difficult way to live as easily as possible.

The advice that Jordan shares in the podcast is to support those people who "have truly come to a self-knowledge" and can acknowledge their mistakes and fail in an honest way. Being involved when things happen. Avoidance of fixation in social structures. It seems that a higher power called "God" exists, without questioning whether one believes in Him (power in the unconscious). Being responsible (as more or less involved) for the policy in society.



The twelve rules Jordan advises on, I suggest a bit different with "my" English (but not to confuse with AA twelve steps, which is to live a life without alcohol and drugs):

1.      Stand up straight with your shoulders back. / Be safe, stand up for your values.

2.      Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping. ! Treat yourself as someone you are responsible for helping.

3.      Make friends with people who want the best for you. / Become a friend of people who want the best for you.

4.      Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today. / Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with anyone else today.

5.      Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them. / Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them.

6.      Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world. / Put your house in perfect order before criticizing the world.

7.      Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient) . Continue with what is meaningful (not what is expected).

8.      Tell the truth—or, at least, don’t lie. / Tell the truth - or at least do not lie.

9.      Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t. /  Suppose the person you listen to may know something you do not.

10.   Be precise in your speech. /  Be exactly in your speech.

11.   Do not bother children when they are skateboarding. / Don´t disturb children when they ride. a skateboard.

12.   Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street. / Clap a cat when you hit it on the street.

And so, you and my dialogue can also be separated, just hope we do not misunderstand each other. Jordan has recently increased the scope of 42 (coming back with my version ...).

The sadness of the good advice is that they should be built into society so that no one would have to expose themselves to life-threatening trials with anxiety in mind, alcoholism or drug addiction, to try to understand them! It's "politics" to change this!

No comments:

Post a Comment